Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Talking about life

"I think students go to my lectures and come away with an impression; they don't come away with a body of knowledge (even though that's my intention when I start off behind the lectern)! However, the moment my passionate momentum takes me out from behind it I know I'm finished with the solidly prepared lecture and off talking about life."

"You see, I found myself wondering about how we measure achievement in this school, in many schools. Grades? Scholarships? Universities? Level of degree? I've started asking students what they would rather have--a place in Columbia, or someone to love? Getting into Columbia is hard but so is finding someone to love. In fact, Shakespeare tells us that if you are clever it's even harder to find love. In 'Much Ado About Nothing', Benedick says to Beatrice, 'You and I are too wise to woo peaceably.'

I was delighted to find that this girl 'has a boyfriend'--it's no consolation prize; love is the greatest treasure anyone can find."

"Grades are after all just grades--we already know, don't we, who the really talented people are. 'And (...) has a boyfriend.'"

____________________

To the man who always left an impression--his impression--of life, love and literature, thank you for being a mooring rope for the crews of students too eager to set out to sea. For the reminder that when we forge ahead into the future with drive and ambition, we leave certain things behind.

The people waving from the shore, the ideas and dreams we grew up with, the budding love we left to be watered by the salty spray of our departure--these are the things we remember when we are all out at sea, set for distant shores and uncertain glory, but longing for nothing more than a cloak of loving arms and the humble palace of home.

Happy retirement, and safe journey on your own way home.

No comments: